by Natalia Moyano, as a part of her Division III project at Hampshire College.
Black Bean Filling
- ½ can organic black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 spring onions (chopped)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- sea salt, pepper, turmeric, and smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes
- ¼ can organic sweet corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 avocado (pitted)
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Use a fork to pierce sweet potatoes all over, and then place them on aluminum foil. Bake for about 45 mins (a knife should easily glide in once they are done.)
- To prepare the filling, use a non-stick skillet with a little olive oil to sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato over medium to low heat. Follow by adding the black beans into the skillet, and then the salt, pepper, turmeric and smoked paprika to season. Cook for about 2 minutes and set aside.
- Scoop out the avocado and mash with a fork. Add a little juice from a lime and set aside.
- To assemble your dish, cut a line down the center of your baked sweet potatoes and gently mash the inside with a fork. Place the sweet potatoes over a dish with lettuce, add the black bean filling, corn, mashed avocado, and top with fresh cilantro and some lime slices on the side.