by Natalia Moyano, as a part of her Division III project at Hampshire College.
(about 3-4 servings)
- 1 cup lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 white onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 can of diced vine-ripened tomatoes (or 1 peeled and chopped tomato)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- turmeric, cumin, thyme, cayenne pepper and sea salt.
- fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- ½ lemon
- The night before, leave lentils soaking in water.
- Rinse and drain soaked lentils. Place the lentils and the vegetable broth in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer temperature for about 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, sauté the garlic, onion, celery and carrots on a large skillet for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the lentils, and follow by adding in turmeric, cumin, thyme, cayenne pepper and sea salt to season. Cook covered on low temperature for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley and the juice of the lemon. Enjoy!